LOCAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE STATISTICS/HUBBARD HOUSE FACTS
– According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement 6,970 incidents of domestic violence were reported last year in Duval County. (www.fdle.state.fl.us)
– Unfortunately domestic violence is one of the most chronically unreported crimes – statistics show that only 1 out of 3 cases is ever reported. (ncadv.org)
– According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement there were 108,046 domestic violence incidents reported last year in the state of Florida. (www.fdle.state.fl.us)
– There are four main types of abuse in domestic violence situations: physical, emotional, economic, and sexual. (www.loveisrespect.org)
– Last year, 976 victims of domestic violence sought refuge in Hubbard House’s emergency shelter (509 women, 456 children, and 11 men).
– Hubbard House answered 5,430 agency-wide crisis calls last year.
– Last year, Hubbard House provided 36,990 hours of counseling to victims of domestic violence (adults and children).
– Hubbard House opened its doors in 1976 as the first domestic violence shelter in the state of Florida. Hubbard House was named after Hubbard St. in the Springfield area of downtown Jacksonville where the originally shelter was located.
NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE STATISTICS
– 1 in every 4 women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime. (ncadv.org)
– In the U.S. a woman is battered every 9 to 15 seconds. (www.padv.org)
WHO IS AT THE GREATEST RISK FOR DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
– 53 percent of domestic violence victims are abused by a current or former boyfriend or girlfriend. (ncadv.org)
– An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year. (www.ncadv.org)
– 85% of domestic violence victims are women. (www.ncadv.org) DATING VIOLENCE
– Women ages 20 to 24 experience the highest per capita rates of intimate violence. (www.ncadv.org)
– 53% of domestic violence victims are abused by a current or former boyfriend or girlfriend. (www.ncadv.org)
– 71% of rape and sexual assault victims knew their offenders. (www.ncadv.org)
– 21% of college students report they have experienced dating violence by a current partner. (www.ncadv.org)
– 60% of acquaintance rapes on college campuses occur in casual or steady dating relationships. (www.ncadv.org)
– 13% of college women reports they have been stalked. Of these, 42% were stalked by a boyfriend or ex-boyfriend. (www.ncadv.org)